Technology has served us in all the fields of our lives. From schools to offices, we have taken the help of technical aspects everywhere. Networking is a big part of the modern technology and you need to have some knowledge of the different kinds of network. So, we’ll go through the details of Local Area Network here.
What is LAN?
This question must have come in your head at the start of reading this article. Though it is a common query of many tech enthusiastic people, the answer can be given in very simple way. Let me explain the topic with an example. Imagine that you have an office or a computer center. So, quite naturally you need a connection between the computers to make the printing and internet facility available easily. Here, the Local Area Network comes to play.
You must remember that LAN basically covers a shorter area and it’s not possible to get benefits in the whole locality with a single Network. LAN can be categorizedinto two types. In case of the wired ones, you have to connect all the computers of devices to a distributing router with cables so that they can fetch the connection. On the other hand, Wireless LAN or WAN works on the radio frequency and they can be found in many bandwidths.
Like the other technical elements, LAN also occupies some pros and cons regarding its use. I’ll now try to demonstrate those.
- You’ll have to spend less amount of money to imply a LAN.
- Simplified Control and small region operation make the Local Area Network user-friendly.
- People can configure this network with ease because the necessary protocols are available in the operating system.
- Latest and one of the most vital uses of the LAN is Remote Desktop Access. The office employees can get access to each other’s computer without leaving their seat by the Remote Desktop Tools like AeroAdmin through a Local Area Network.
- You can get a high-speed communication between the devices which are connected through the LAN and 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps,and 1000 Mbps are the common speeds. Hence, you must remember that the speed depends on the LAN type and cables.
- The LAN also supports file transfer between the connected devices with the assistance of file servers.
- The users can also setup such protocols for security and protection from the hackers.
- You don’t need a hard disk or external media storage to store files if you are a LAN user. Network file server offers you an internal storage within the LAN.
- Installation of the softwares is also very easy for the LAN users. You can use such applications stored in the other computer within the same network.
- The geographical area covered by a LAN is too small.
- Despite having the security protocols, the intruders can hamper your system efficiency by accessing the personal programs.
- You’ll need a network expert or a professional technician to setup a LAN.
- Because of the collaborating nature, a single server problem can affect all the network clients.
- Virus spreading is dangerously fast in the Local Area Network.